Although known as the Queen of Hills, Darjeeling is getting increasingly popular for several water sports and one that leads is White Water Rafting. River Teesta and Rangeet gush down the mountains of Darjeeling and create foaming white water and stretches with varying rapids that are excellent for rafting for both beginners and seasoned rafters.
As you raft down Teesta, the mesmerizing view of the dense forests along the slope of the mountains, the vegetation, the many different birds, fishes on the water, combined with the excitement of rafting through the torrents and foaming waters create an unforgettable experience. There are small villages on both sides of the river. You can therefore see many cultivated lands. Overall an awesome feeling.
- One has to sign ‘Assumption of Risk and Release’ bond before undertaking the rafting trip.
- Foreign tourists require to carry their passport which needs to be shown while signing the bond and also while crossing the Teesta Bridge.
- You should wear shorts and carry extra pair of shoes/sneakers, sun screen lotion, water bottle, an additional set of dry clothes etc.
- If you have heart problems, epilepsy etc, it is advisable not to undertake the trip.
- You must not drink alcohol at least 6 hours before the trip.